First Concert Memories

Okay, I'm going to admit I'm of the Baby Boom generation. With the loss of several of our  most creative musical geniuses just in the last week (David Bowie and Glenn Frey,) one of the reasons I created this blog was to share recollections of Boomer experiences and spur others to share theirs as well.
     Do you remember the first rock concert you ever attended? I believe my first one was Ted Nugent opening for J. Geils at the Canton (Ohio) Memorial Auditorium, probably around 1973.  I was too young and innocent to be interested in indulging in any kind of drugs or alcohol. I was not even a big fan of the bands but a friend had invited me so I went, not knowing what to expect. The auditorium seemed cavernous, filled with wild and crazy people, many of whom  were obviously "on something." The music was painfully loud.  I only recognized a few of the songs and the rest was unrecognizable noise - to my ears, anyway. I was a fish out of water. Needless to say that was the only hard rock concert I ever attended, although I did see many greats as time went on, including Linda Ronstadt, Paul McCartney and Wings, Peter Frampton, Electric Light Orchestra, James Taylor, and Pete Seeger. How about you? What was you first concert? Was it what you expected? What was most memorable about it?

Comments

Popular Posts