Signs of Spring....Robins, Taxes, and New Grandbabies

    It's been awhile since I have posted on this blog. I apologize for that, but I have been so befuddled by the antics in Washington of our newly elected officials that I haven't been willing or able to comment on that or anything else. There are just so many crazy things going on right now, it's beyond my ability as a mere amateur to provide any meaningful insight. I will leave that up to the professionals, who are having a tough enough time making any sense of it themselves.
    But that unhappy situation for the professional frees me up to focus on more lighthearted topics, like the impending coming of spring.  February's unseasonably warm weather in this part of the country has heralded an early return of one of the earliest signs of spring - the appearance in our yards and neighborhoods of robin redbreast! I saw 5 or 6 of them while out and about today. The warm weather of late has brought them back north a bit early.  (For those outside of the U.S. who may not know, "robin redbreast" is a cheery little grayish bird with bright orange underbelly and breast feathers that return to these parts every spring.)  Unfortunately the summer-like temperatures we enjoyed a few weeks ago have reverted to more seasonal winter-like weather. The robins looked rather chilly hopping about in the snow today. I hope they can find enough food and warmth to survive the next few nights which are predicted to drop down into the teens, with more snow on the way  Hopefully the blizzard which is predicted to hit New York will bypass us and the warmer temps will return soon.
     Along with robin redbreast, another sure sign if spring is the looming April 15th deadline for filing our taxes. Tax day seems to roll around more quickly every year. (Didn't  we just do this???) I hope you have your paperwork in order and the tax gods smile on you.
     I have vowed never to turn this blog into grandma's brag book but I would be amiss not to mention the birth of my first grandchild last month. For those who have experienced it, you know what I'm talking about.  Pure joy!  There is nothing else like it!  Seeing your children have children of their own is a fascinating thing and opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I hope you indulge me for bragging just this once!   
    I've heard it said the a new baby is God's affirmation that the world should go on.  Even with the crazy shenanigans going on in Washington and the whole world seemingly in an uproar, we can still take solace in the sure knowledge that, just like last year and every year before it, spring is on the way, with robins, daffodils, and walks around the block with new grandbabies to look forward to.  As mixed up as the world sometimes seems, the circle of life continues, as sure as birth and taxes.  God has affirmed that life in all it's craziness and beauty should go on.  Hope your spring turns out to be wonderful, as I'm sure mine will be.

photo credit: https://www.facebook.com/Jillian-McKenzie-Photography-165381480265318/

   
    

Comments

Popular Posts